[sugar] Supporting desktop applications, extending the EWMH spec

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 16:14:18 EDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 10:07 PM, Sayamindu Dasgupta
<sayamindu at gmail.com> wrote:
>a) applications like firefox will need to be modified so that they set
>the _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_APPLICATION hint (ideally we would like to run
>the applications unmodified).

The idea would be that applications would just these this hint
upstream, if they are designed in a way that makes them compatible
with running "fullscreen".

> b) one of the major reasons why we can do away with the decorations in
> case of sugar activities is that they are designed to work well
> without decorations (eg: a large close button on the window itself).
> otoh, most desktop applications do not have this, and the close button
> is usually somewhere hidden in the menu. In some cases the close
> button may not be accessible at all (eg: a rogue popup in firefox
> which somehow circumvents the popup blocker and disables the menubar).
> Note that this is a problem with the existing Firefox activity as
> well.

We might actually move the close button into the frame in one of the
next release...

(Don't take this as arguing for the approach
_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_APPLICATION, it's tricky, I'm not sure what's
better really.)

Marco