q2e15 and a bricked BTest-2

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Thu Sep 11 16:49:15 EDT 2008

Richard Smith wrote:
> All 'e' series firmware will brick any machine using a Geode GX (B1 &
> B2) so e12 would have not have saved you.

Right, it would be a good idea to mention this in

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Hardware_specification#Software_on_the_develop
ment_systems

It is pretty easy to miss it there, but it is the only place in the wiki
where I saw a similar warning relating to the ATest boards. A short note
here might be easier to find (but I don't know if it wold be out of
place):

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Firmware

> B2's have been unsupported for quite a while now and we don't do any
> testing on them. Nor do we care to since we don't have the resources.

That is to be expected.

> If you make and account on the developer program website and say you
> have a B2 that you want replaced we will send you a new MP machine.
> Make sure there is some sort of project listed with your request.

I would actually like to stick with the B2 for now. It has a certain
historical value. Its main use was to help illustrate the various talks
I have given about OLPC. Between 500 and 700 people have had a chance to
play a little with it, but that hasn't happened in months so it has
probably outlived its usefulness in this regard. I am also interested in
SqueakNOS and for that 64MB is quite enough, let alone 128MB.

-- Jecel