Hardware Errors -- any hope?

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Tue Sep 2 11:58:06 EDT 2008

John Watlington wrote:

>> I can scp 156 MB to the local machine no problem.
>>
>> I figure that the problem lies in the USB controller. Any ideas?
>
> This sounds more like a problem with the USB key, not the motherboard.
> If the controller were having trouble transferring data, it wouldn't be so
> consistent about making it to 29 MB with no error.

I'll 2nd that.  "Use a different USB disk" has solved pretty much all of
these type reports.  Run an MD5 test on your file on the USB disk and
see if it matches your source material.

Sometimes a reformat of the disk fixes but I've had 1 or 2 that I just
had to throw away.

--
Richard Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child