Hardware Errors -- any hope?

Bryan Berry bryan at olenepal.org
Tue Sep 2 21:53:35 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-02 at 11:50
> This sounds more like a problem with the USB key, not the motherboard.
> If the controller were having trouble transferring data, it wouldn't
> be so
> consistent about making it to 29 MB with no error.

I will take your suggestion and try another usb key.

I tried two different USB keys that could transfer 156 MB easily to
other XO's. I only recorded that one failed consistently at 29 MB. I
didn't record at which point the other USB key failed.

I will try another USB key today to test it out.

> > Machine #2  Bad Nand-flash
> >
> > The machine won't boot. OFW scans for boot disk and finds nothing. The
> > boot device is set to \boot\olpc.fth
> >
> > Copy-nand returns an error the Nand Flash can't be opened.
> >
> > Firmware test-all:
> > Testing pci/nandflash
> > Self test failed Return code -1
> >
> > This machine was out in the field for about 4 months. I am really
> > surprised that the nand flash has failed.
>
> We have seen a small number of units showing this problem.   I would
> love to get the motherboard for failure analysis...

I can see about sending it to you.

--
Bryan W. Berry
Systems Engineer