Hardware Errors -- any hope?

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Tue Sep 2 11:50:45 EDT 2008

On Sep 2, 2008, at 8:03 AM, Bryan Berry wrote:

> I have what appear to be two hardware errors and I would like to
> know if
> there is any hope of fixing them short of swapping out the
> motherboards.
>
> Machine #1  Possible bad USB controller
>
> On this machine, I can't copy a file larger than 29 MB from a USB
> stick
> to the SSD. The machine completely hangs when I move more than 29 MB.
> Test-all from the firmware shows no errors.
>
> I can scp 156 MB to the local machine no problem.
>
> I figure that the problem lies in the USB controller. Any ideas?

This sounds more like a problem with the USB key, not the motherboard.
If the controller were having trouble transferring data, it wouldn't
be so
consistent about making it to 29 MB with no error.

> Machine #2  Bad Nand-flash
>
> The machine won't boot. OFW scans for boot disk and finds nothing. The
> boot device is set to \boot\olpc.fth
>
> Copy-nand returns an error the Nand Flash can't be opened.
>
> Firmware test-all:
> Testing pci/nandflash
> Self test failed Return code -1
>
> This machine was out in the field for about 4 months. I am really
> surprised that the nand flash has failed.

We have seen a small number of units showing this problem.   I would
love to get the motherboard for failure analysis...