Hardware Errors -- any hope?

Bryan Berry bryan at olenepal.org
Tue Sep 2 08:03:07 EDT 2008

I have what appear to be two hardware errors and I would like to know if
there is any hope of fixing them short of swapping out the motherboards.

Machine #1  Possible bad USB controller

On this machine, I can't copy a file larger than 29 MB from a USB stick
to the SSD. The machine completely hangs when I move more than 29 MB.
Test-all from the firmware shows no errors.

I can scp 156 MB to the local machine no problem.

I figure that the problem lies in the USB controller. Any ideas?

Machine #2  Bad Nand-flash

The machine won't boot. OFW scans for boot disk and finds nothing. The
boot device is set to \boot\olpc.fth

Copy-nand returns an error the Nand Flash can't be opened.

Firmware test-all:
Testing pci/nandflash
Self test failed Return code -1

This machine was out in the field for about 4 months. I am really
surprised that the nand flash has failed.

--
Bryan W. Berry
Systems Engineer