Collection (.xol) glitches

S Page info at skierpage.com
Wed Oct 29 17:47:35 EDT 2008

In "Re: Sugar unusable as an e-book reader", david at lang.hm wrote:

>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Content_bundle_making_script .
>
> hmm, I modified the script ... and used it to create
> bundle .xol files. putting them on the USB stick doesn't seem to work.
> they show up in the journal as unknown file types

I filed http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/8903 that they don't have unique
icons, I haven't tried the patch in bug 7197 that might fix this.

>  and hitting start
> doesn't seem to do anything (other than triggering some disk I/O)

That script had a bug, it doesn't specify a category.
With logging enabled, org.laptop.JournalActivity-1.log says
MalformedBundleException: Content bundle
/home/olpc/.sugar/default/data/the_fata_morgana.xol does not specify a
category

(Is there a general Sugar bug that if anything whatsoever goes wrong you
get no feedback? !!)

With that fix I was able to install a few of david's collection from the
Web and USB.  But the Journal leaves the .xol file in
/home/olpc/.sugar/default/data/ until it next installs something, and it
has errors if I later try to erase the collection.  I didn't have these
problems installing and erasing "World culture" v3; I'm not sure what
the difference is.

Could someone who knows please edit this wiki page and others like
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Creating_a_collection for accuracy?  E.g.

* Nothing except
http://bantha.org/~kraken/olpc/bundler/makeLibraryInfo.html seems to
list acceptable subcategories.

* Should the host_version be 2 these day?

--
=S Page