Sugar unusable as an e-book reader

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Tue Oct 28 01:10:25 EDT 2008

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008, david at lang.hm wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Oct 2008, S Page wrote:
>
>> david at lang.hm wrote:
>>
>> In an ideal world the book would be packaged as a single collection (.xol)
>> file, so downloading it would unpack it in ~/Library and add it to the
>> content navigation in the OLPC Library home page.  You could try
>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Creating_a_collection and
>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Content_bundle_making_script .
>
> hmm, I modified the script from the second link and used it to create bundle
> .xol files. putting them on the USB stick doesn't seem to work. they show up
> in the journal as unknown file types and hitting start doesn't seem to do
> anything (other than triggering some disk I/O)

I added an index.html to the tree and still can't get the XO to do
anything with the file.

I even tried setting it up to download it from a website and it's not
doing anything other than putting the file in the journal

even if I were able to get this functioning, it's still not really good
for reading as you need to click on links every chapter to get to the next
chapter. in tablet mode you don't have the ability to do this.

David Lang