9.1 Proposal: Printing support

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Mon Oct 20 19:55:13 EDT 2008

Actually, teachers are the other people who have asked for printing
support (e.g. at Arahuay, when I visited).  They don't have enough
conventional systems to do their test sheets.

Now on line tests may make some/most of that need obsolete; but that
will take time for teachers to get used to.
                           - Jim

On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 16:50 -0700, John Gilmore wrote:
> Note that much of the demand for printing comes from G1G1 users, who
> won't have a School Server (and are unlikely to have another Linux
> machine handy).
>
> I think the answer is probably to run the CUPS daemon when we need it,
> and kill it off when we don't (a la inetd).
>
> As with everything else, I think we should strongly hew to what
> already works and what's already had tens of thousands of manhours
> invested in it, rather than reinventing the wheel and the GUI.  CUPS
> is administered through a browser, we have a browser, are we almost
> done yet?  :-)
>
> 	John

Jim Gettys <jg at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child