9.1 Proposal: Printing support

John Gilmore gnu at toad.com
Mon Oct 20 19:50:37 EDT 2008

Note that much of the demand for printing comes from G1G1 users, who
won't have a School Server (and are unlikely to have another Linux
machine handy).

I think the answer is probably to run the CUPS daemon when we need it,
and kill it off when we don't (a la inetd).

As with everything else, I think we should strongly hew to what
already works and what's already had tens of thousands of manhours
invested in it, rather than reinventing the wheel and the GUI.  CUPS
is administered through a browser, we have a browser, are we almost
done yet?  :-)

	John