[Grassroots-l] World scriptures

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 04:02:43 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 08:15, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:
> We have a Bible program in Sugar. Sword allows any number of texts,
> dictionaries, and commentaries in any combination of languages to be
> integrated together. I know where many other scriptures in many
> languages are available, and would like to start a project to
> integrate them into Sword and make them globally available. Some of
> the materials are
>
> Qur'an, Muslim
> Sri Guru Granth Sahib, Sikh
> Tipitaka and Tripitaka, Buddhist
> Kanjur, Tanjur, Buddhist
> Vedas, Upanishads, Bhagavad Gita, Hindu
> Laozi, Juangzi, Daozang, Daoist
> Confucius, Mencius, Confucian
> Talmud, Jewish
> Popul Vuh, Mayan
>
> I am open to other suggestions, and will need help with appropriate
> dictionaries and commentaries. This is a large project, and will need
> people with a range of skills. I can contact organizations that work
> on each of the sets of texts listed, but we will need more contacts
> beyond them.

The Sword activity is based on upstream software available for many platforms:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_SWORD_Project
http://www.crosswire.org/sword/index.jsp

Since the upstream organisation is Christian, I doubt they would want
to host the texts you have listed. However we can get them to list the
Sugar Sword activity on their site.

My interest is to get the reader localized, and create
easy-to-download bundles containing a specific Bible translation
(http://www.crosswire.org/sword/modules/ModDisp.jsp?modType=Bibles) as
appropriate for specific countries. That's probably easier in the
short term than adding in support to download texts within the
activity, especially as they are large files. In my opinion, most use
would be for a specific text, perhaps including an appropriate
dictionary and commentary.

> o Should I create one ticket for the project, or one per religion, or what?

Are tickets necessary at this point? I think tickets are best suited
to discrete bits of work that can be assigned to a person and have a
definite completion. I think the tasks consist of work on the
software, localization, work on the content, and creation of bundles
with specific content.

> o Where can we host this?

We should specifically not use the wiki for hosting the actual
downloads. Downloads from the wiki are slow, and place a lot of load
on it.

Regards
Morgan