Fedora 10 for 9.1.0?

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 19:10:11 EDT 2008

We went through this early on in the development of the OLPC software
stack. It became clear that we were not far enough along to be able to
settle in on RHEL. Maybe we'll be at that point after another turn or
two of the crank. Maybe the XS will be there sooner. But too much is
in flux.

-walter

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 7:06 PM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 5:21 AM, Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 2008-10-12 at 13:34 +0200, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
>>> do we plan to rebase to F10 for 9.1.0? I'm asking because I'd need to
>>> know if I can depend on gtk 2.14...
>>
>> If not, then you're going to be basing on a Fedora release which will be
>> EOL'd[1] very soon after the OLPC release...
>>
>> Jeremy
>>
>> [1] Fedora 9 EOL will be 1 month after Fedora 11's release, so say
>> June-ish
>
> Yeah - the Fedora lifecycle does not end up being a good fit for us.
> There is no clear (supported) path to go from a Fedora ("bleeding
> edge") release to a LTS path with RHEL or CentOS.
>
> Is there any hints as to how that could be improved? Understanding how
> RH picks where to base RHEL would be a start...
>
> On one hand we need the latest freshest code as we're driving quite a
> few changes in the stack -- but we also need LTS.
>
> (I don't mean to complain or flame -- the focus is on "lifecycle" in
> the first para. Some things have been fantastic, including the
> "beginning" of the lifecycle - IOWs how quickly Fedora picks upstream
> changes...)
>
> cheers,

> --
>  martin.langhoff at gmail.com