Fedora 10 for 9.1.0?

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 19:06:40 EDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 5:21 AM, Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-10-12 at 13:34 +0200, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
>> do we plan to rebase to F10 for 9.1.0? I'm asking because I'd need to
>> know if I can depend on gtk 2.14...
>
> If not, then you're going to be basing on a Fedora release which will be
> EOL'd[1] very soon after the OLPC release...
>
> Jeremy
>
> [1] Fedora 9 EOL will be 1 month after Fedora 11's release, so say
> June-ish

Yeah - the Fedora lifecycle does not end up being a good fit for us.
There is no clear (supported) path to go from a Fedora ("bleeding
edge") release to a LTS path with RHEL or CentOS.

Is there any hints as to how that could be improved? Understanding how
RH picks where to base RHEL would be a start...

On one hand we need the latest freshest code as we're driving quite a
few changes in the stack -- but we also need LTS.

(I don't mean to complain or flame -- the focus is on "lifecycle" in
the first para. Some things have been fantastic, including the
"beginning" of the lifecycle - IOWs how quickly Fedora picks upstream
changes...)

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions