5 sec boot

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Sat Oct 4 21:05:17 EDT 2008

> a) Some people argue that we shouldn't bother to speed up boot, because
> suspend/resume optimization is more important.  (I agree that S/R is
> more important, but I wish that we could do both.)

Thank you all for your work on cutting down boot times.

I am interested in the use case where a student does not have a lap top they
can carry with them, but does have access to computer labs at school, in the
library, at after-school day-care, and has a family computer at home.  This
is true for many US students.

We are looking at putting Sugar onto a USB key so that students can boot up
any of these computers to be their Sugar system as they move from place to
place.

Clearly boot-time will be critical.  Also the machine may, or may not,
change between boots so I think that cuts down some of the short-cuts you
can take.

The basics aren't working yet for the USB boot so this isn't a request to
work on this boot speed issue right now, but it would be great if while
people are thinking about these issues you'd take notes as to which
techniques may help reduce boot time from a USB Key.

Thanks!
Caroline

--
Caroline Meeks