Power Management plan for December.

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Fri Nov 28 16:18:11 EST 2008

Hi,

This e-mail describes the work plan for power management during December.
I've filed bugs for each item, so this plan is the list of bugs that
should be fixed during December.

Bugs I plan to fix:

* #2765 -- Need to turn off DCON after some time in idle suspend
* #3732 -- ARP broadcasts don't wake autosuspended laptops
* #7981 -- EC mask setting is inefficient
* #9055 -- Create 9.1 test plans for automatic power management

Bugs I will need significant help to fix:

* #6818 -- Make the multicast wakeup filter work with collaboration
    (Ricardo Carrano?)
* #7958 -- DCON flicker on resume
    (kernel regression; perhaps Deepak, Andres, Mitch, or Adam Jackson?)
* #9054 -- Speed up USB resume
    (kernel)

It will take some effort to gather the resources for fixing the second
list of bugs (and if anyone reading can help, I'd love to hear from
you).  However, if we are able to fix all of these bugs we'll be in
excellent shape for having a shippable-by-default automatic suspend
feature in 9.1, assuming serious bugs uncovered during testing can be
fixed.  The plan for January would largely involve following up with
QA and looking for further cheap performance wins in suspend/resume.

Comments welcome.  Are there important power management bugs that I've
left out?

Thanks,

- Chris.
--