x11vnc and vncviewer for classroom

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Sun Nov 23 20:46:00 EST 2008

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 4:24 PM,  <scott at gnuveau.net> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> On Mon, 24 Nov 2008, Peter Robinson wrote:
>
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > Pardon my lack of experience with the XO... was supposed to get 2 of them
>> > with the original G1G1 program, but that apparently did not work out.
>> >
>> > Does the XO have a standard ethernet interface?  If so, and if that
>> > interface does PXE, it would make an admirable LTSP terminal when
>> > connected to a wired network also.
>>
>> No wired ethernet onboard, although I think it supports some usb
>> ethernet adapters.
>
> Doubtful that would work then, although it could do an X -query $X11SERVER
> where the X11 server is broadcasting XDMCP.  Could probably also use
> LTSP's ldm to connect to a standard LTSP server instead of running a local
> GUI.  That is essentially X compressed and encrypted over a
> ssh tunnel.  Either of these methods would work over either a usb NIC or
> the wifi.
>
> Enjoy,
> Scott

The XO does have 3 USB 2.0 ports and a whole bunch of USB to ethernet
adapters work (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/USB_ethernet_adaptors).
However, the XO does not have a traditional BIOS, so no PXE boot
option. http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Ask_OLPC_a_Question_about_the_Network#XO_and_PXE.2FEtherboot

I remember talking to Oliver Grawert (copied here) of Ubuntu/LTSP fame
at the first (and only) UbuntuLive and he said he had an XO in the mix
of things that ran LTSP terminals. How he was doing this wasn't clear
though.

cheers,
Sameer
--