Problem with Stream Tubes over the Mesh

Kristofer Plunkett kp86 at u.washington.edu
Mon May 26 00:05:41 EDT 2008

Hello,

I'm developing an activity in Sugar that uses stream tubes to transfer data
(slide shows, in particular).  The code I'm running to accomplish this is
almost an exact mirror of the Read activity, which seems to be the defacto
example of how to use stream tubes.  When sharing the activity and using the
tubes over a wireless AP, everything works just fine.  However, when doing
the same over a mesh network, things don't work.  I've confirmed that the
HTTP server is running on the correct port and works correctly on the XO
that is sharing the data, and, once the joiners have acquired the stream
tube, I confirmed that the correct port is opened on localhost on those
machines.  When the joiners attempt to download the data from the tube
(forwarded socket), they are able to connect but then the connection is
reset as soon as the request is sent.

The HTTP client/server code being used doesn't have any logging, and the
networking involved here is all new to me.  I have no idea how to dig deeper
using, for example, the usual tools of tcpdump, etc...

If you're curious, here are links to my project's public site and
development wiki:
http://xo.orderedpixels.com/
http://xo.orderedpixels.com/w

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Kristofer Plunkett
Computer Engineering - Undergrad
University of Washington