Thin firmware + driver first development release
javier at cozybit.com
Fri May 9 19:06:59 EDT 2008
We are happy to announce the first development release of the wireless
firmware + driver compatible with the kernel's mac80211 stack. This is
a first step towards supporting a soft Access Point (hostap) on the
xo, a project in which are actively working.
The release is made of the following pieces:
Driver: git clone git://dev.laptop.org/users/javier/libertastf.git
- Implemented mac80211 support for scanning, association and rate adaptation.
- No power management nor security is supported.
- Driver can coexist with original libertas driver but we recommend
blacklisting one of them in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and
rmmod/modprobe when willing to experiment with it.
- The driver has been greatly simplified, but we are still working in
getting it simpler, specially in command handling.
- Since the device does not report the MAC address until the firmware
is loaded, we use a fake multicast mac address for the device until
the first time an interface is brought up. Thanks to Johannes Berg for
his help with this issue.
- The driver was developed on wireless-testing branch and compiled
fine on olpc-2.6 but faced other problems (display, touchpad) that
prevented us testing it on the xo. Waiting for olpc-2.6 master to
stabilize after it merged with 2.6.26.
Please send all feedback to this list cc'ing luisca or javier AT cozybit.com
The friendly folks at cozybit
More information about the Devel