Acoustic Measure Problem

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Mon May 12 09:11:08 EDT 2008

Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
| On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 5:47 PM, Benjamin M. Schwartz
| <bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
|>  There is a much larger point here, though.  I would love to get more
|>  (any!) feedback from teachers about my code, so I know what's important in
|>  the field.  Until you mentioned this page, I had no idea that it existed.
|>  ~ I'm sure many other developers feel the same way.  It seems that the
|>  teachers want to give us feedback too, but somehow, the loop is not
closing.

|>  We need to connect this feedback loop.  We need a way to get complaints
|>  back from the field into the hands of developers, like I've suggested in
|>  #6950.  We've talked about translating Trac, but if Trac is too
|>  complicated, then perhaps we need to set up an RT list:
|>  inconvenientes at laptop.org.  Maybe also a simple webform at
|>  inconvenientes.laptop.org, for those with web access but no e-mail.  Then
|>  we need to tell the teachers that these things exist, and make them
|>  understand that we really do want to hear about what they don't like.
|>
|>  I want to hear complaints about my software, and then I want a way to open
|>  a dialogue with those who are having problems.  This is the first step
|>  toward improving open systems.
|
| I like your suggestions, two questions:
|
| - What would be done with the info submitted?

It would be translated and given to the engineer responsible for that
subsystem.

| Could there be an
| automatic process or someone would need to manually triage and send to
| trac/mailing lists?
There are many possibilities.  I think my favorite, at the moment, is to
create a simplified version of the trac webform,  perhaps a complete
parallel installation of Trac, at inconvenientes.laptop.org.  Presumably
we would make no registration required (or use the included OpenID once
that's live).  Therefore, users would be immediately be shown the problem
submission web form.  This form would contain fields for title, component,
the problem text, and uploads, without confusing users with severities or
owners.  Submissions could also be made by e-mail.

The process would then be the same as when someone submits an untriaged
trac bug.  The only difference is that the owner cannot expect the
submitter to respond further on that bug, due to lack of internet
connectivity and higher priorities than bug discussion.

| - How we could get back to the submitter?

If the submitter uses e-mail, Trac will CC them automatically.  If the
submitter uses the webform, they can be asked to bookmark that page, or
subscribe to its RSS feed.

Eventually, I would very much like to see direct support for non-realtime
messaging in Sugar.  Then "inconvenientes at laptop.org" can be represented
as a specific buddy in the mesh view, and people can send messages to it
directly through the "messaging interface", whatever form that may take.

- --Ben