UI usability for 4 year old (was Re: Call for Papers/Talks/Ideas!)

John R.Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Tue Mar 25 13:05:25 EDT 2008

K. K. Subramaniam <subbukk <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Monday 24 Mar 2008 9:50:49 am John R.Hogerhuis wrote:
> > Based on my daughter, she does use two hands to paint. The problem is the
> > need to constantly hold down the button (drag) while painting. With a mouse
> > this is natural for her, but with the trackpad she has difficulty. Maybe
> > the issue is bumping the hand, or coming close to bumping into the hand
> > holding the button?
> John,
>
> This is par for the course for 4-year olds. They spend a lot of time exploring
> space through whole body movement and fine finger control will take time to
> develop. A mouse involves whole arm movement while trackpad needs fine finger
> controls. Trackpad is easier for the 6+ year olds.

So, it's a developmental stages thing, right?

> In any case, kids have a way of figuring out a way out of problems that adults
> would perplex an adult. Ever seen a kid succumb to analysis-paralysis ?
> In your place, I would just give her more time to find her own way out on how
> to control a computer to get things done.

I understand what you're saying, but if it's a developmental issue then what you
would expect (and what is happening) is that it is just outside her grasp and
she gets frustrated. Then she puts the laptop away (which is within her
control). It's not an issue of me letting her find her own way. We don't
interfere unless she asks, and then just to read the screen to her or explain to
her where to find things.

-- John.