UI usability for 4 year old (was Re: Call for Papers/Talks/Ideas!)

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 08:32:45 EDT 2008

On Monday 24 Mar 2008 9:50:49 am John R.Hogerhuis wrote:
> Based on my daughter, she does use two hands to paint. The problem is the
> need to constantly hold down the button (drag) while painting. With a mouse
> this is natural for her, but with the trackpad she has difficulty. Maybe
> the issue is bumping the hand, or coming close to bumping into the hand
> holding the button?
John,

This is par for the course for 4-year olds. They spend a lot of time exploring
space through whole body movement and fine finger control will take time to
develop. A mouse involves whole arm movement while trackpad needs fine finger
controls. Trackpad is easier for the 6+ year olds.

In any case, kids have a way of figuring out a way out of problems that adults
would perplex an adult. Ever seen a kid succumb to analysis-paralysis :-)?
In your place, I would just give her more time to find her own way out on how
to control a computer to get things done.

Subbu