UI usability for 4 year old (was Re: Call for Papers/Talks/Ideas!)

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 03:36:52 EDT 2008

On Tuesday 25 Mar 2008 10:35:25 pm John R.Hogerhuis wrote:
> > In any case, kids have a way of figuring out a way out of problems that
> > adults would perplex an adult. Ever seen a kid succumb to
> > analysis-paralysis ? In your place, I would just give her more time to
> > find her own way out on how to control a computer to get things done.
>
> I understand what you're saying, but if it's a developmental issue then
> what you would expect (and what is happening) is that it is just outside
> her grasp and she gets frustrated. Then she puts the laptop away (which is
> within her control). It's not an issue of me letting her find her own way.
> We don't interfere unless she asks, and then just to read the screen to her
> or explain to her where to find things.
Please read "more time" as "more development time". As she grows up and
develops finer control, she is sure to figure out a way. Till then, she can
learn by watching others use a computer (google:mirror-neurons). My daughter,
at four years, rarely used a computer and preferred to snuggle on my lap
while I worked on my notebook PC. But when walked into a Mac store (at six
years), she amazed me and others in the store by using a Mac, for the first
time, to sketch Taj Mahal. I have also seen school kids pick up computing
skills by watching their classmates.

Subbu