Fixing the Pen Tablet

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Mon Mar 24 14:29:15 EDT 2008

Andres,

Thanks for the feedback on our patch.

> - Please don't change the "magic" values without giving justification.  Also,
>   do it in a separate patch.

A good suggestion which I shall keep in mind in the future. If the need
arises (which depends on your current plans for the PT), then Blake or I
shall split them.

> - Why are we patching the hal code?  That seems completely unnecessary
>   simply to change ABS vs REL mode.  Not to mention, we aleady have the
>   desired effect with a master kernel, without needing to patch
>   additional stuff.

We felt it appropriate to patch X's "calculate configuration options
from HAL data" routine because the X server is capable of
auto-configuring its inputs in absolute or relative mode by itself only
when the configuration code is informed of which configuration to use.
Our patch passes along the appropriate information.

(Bernie's kludge set the default choice to "Relative" for all devices
lacking config data. That obviously won't work for us since we want to
use the GS in relative mode and the PT in absolute mode.)

> - Why aren't people using the touchpad code in master?

Is this a rhetorical question?

>  I don't care about getting the PT working in stable; post update.1
>  (whenever *that* is), the old touchpad driver is going away.

Well, obviously Blake, myself, and several other folks do care about
getting the PT working in our builds. Why are you content to leave an
iconic feature broken for over four months in our builds, particularly
if you've already written code that fixes the problem?

Michael