Fixing the Pen Tablet

Andres Salomon dilinger at queued.net
Mon Mar 24 14:54:40 EDT 2008

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 14:29:15 -0400
Michael Stone <michael at laptop.org> wrote:

> Andres,

[...]
> >  I don't care about getting the PT working in stable; post update.1
> >  (whenever *that* is), the old touchpad driver is going away.
>
> Well, obviously Blake, myself, and several other folks do care about
> getting the PT working in our builds. Why are you content to leave an
> iconic feature broken for over four months in our builds, particularly
> if you've already written code that fixes the problem?
>
> Michael

I backported the code 3 months ago.  I put it into stable.  We
discovered a bug, so I was told to quickly remove it from stable
because we were about to release Update.1.  I decided to wait for
Update.1 to release, and then backport again.  Here we are, 3 months
later, still waiting for the release.

As far as iconic features, I could really care less about tablet mode;
I'm more interested in the *other* features of the driver (things like
automatically recalibrating when the touchpad goes all funky, working
around a number of touchpad bugs, the ability to kill power to the
touchpad to save power when the lid is closed, etc).  I'd rather see
the tablet swapped out for a touchpad backed by a manufacturer whom
we can actually work with, and with fewer hardware bugs.