Testing branch and actions

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Fri Jun 27 16:43:50 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 01:24:22PM +0200, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Tomeu has a good question:
>
> "Can we close a ticket once we have verified it's fixed in joyride and
> we don't have yet stable builds for 8.2.0?"

No, because fixing the issue in joyride does fix the issue for our users. In
particular, it does not guarantee that the issue will be included in the next
release. Instead, you should mark the ticket

  joyride-20xx:+

and set the next action to something like 'add to build' or 'release' to
indicate that the changes need to be included in a release build.

> * We need to create a testing branch so that we can start following
> the soon-to-be-published release process.

Soon, soon.

> Can someone give a try to explain these?

communicate : we have to go talk to some third party (e.g. an upstream
              maintainer) in order to figure out how to proceed.

signoff : some authoritative signoff is needed before progress can be made such
          as a signoff on an item on the Release Checklist or the signoff of a
          package maintainer on a request-to-push.

finalize : no more action is needed because the issue was successfully resolved.

no action : no more action is needed, e.g. because the ticket is a simple reminder.

unknown : an explicit representation of ignorance about what further action is
          needed.

package : some packaging work is needed in order to progress the changes toward
          release.

> add to build
> test in build
>
> We have both a unstable build and a testing one in the process and I'm
> not sure which one these are referring to.

You're right that there's an ambiguity. We could change this to something like:

add to devel        test in devel
add to testing      test in testing
add to updates      test in updates

We could the 'signoff' state to represent the need to acquire any necessary
approvals.

Alternately, we could use the ambiguous 'add to build' and 'test in build' and
use the comments or tags to learn exactly what build needs action.

Comments?

Michael