[Techteam] Adding a "Next release" milestone in trac

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Fri Jun 20 21:01:10 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 09:35:33PM +0200, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 9:06 PM, Eben Eliason <eben.eliason at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I began wishing that I could meaningfully differentiate between the
> > "Future release" and non-existent "Next release" components.

Because we are unlikely to make a new major stable release within four
months of shipping 8.2.0, our next major stable release will, in all
probability, be named 9.1.0 -- the first major stable release of 2009.

Looking out from today, I would expect it to land sometime in the first
quarter of 2009. I could also easily imagine the creation of an 8.2.1
bugfix release to pick up minor improvements to 8.2.0 which are required
after ship or which we lacked the resources to release on the first
pass.

As for how to represent these possibilities: I don't like the Milestone
field because it fails to two important qualities of tickets: that they
may have been considered for multiple releases and that they must be
proposed, then accepted or rejected for release.

Unfortunately, the Milestone field does not permit us to describe
tickets which are in danger of slipping from a release, which are
_proposed_ for a release but not yet accepted, or which have slipped
through several releases. In reaction to these flaws, I am using a
tagging scheme like:

 rel-8.2.0:- rel-9.1.0:?

to describe tickets which are definitely not going into 8.2.0 and which
have been proposed for 9.1.0.

Does this scheme suit your needs?

Michael