[Techteam] Adding a "Next release" milestone in trac

Kim Quirk kim at laptop.org
Fri Jun 20 23:54:44 EDT 2008

Michael,
If we can all agree on tagging and on using exactly the same tags
(which is very difficult); then we still have to deal with the
milestone issue as the entire roadmap and all the past expectations
have been that the milestone DO mean something.

It is difficult to give up on milestones (at least for me) and I'm
really concerned if tags are not a 'pull down' that we will NOT
successfully search on tags and get all the trac items.

Can we use a combination of milestones and tagging?

If you want something to get into milestone 9.1.0; you put it there
AND you tag it with rel-8.2.0:- rel-9.1.0:?
Maybe the milestone represents the desired location of the feature,
and the tags represent current expectations as to whether it can make
one release or another.

So if someone puts 'Groups' into Milestone 9.1.0; you might also tag
it with rel-9.1.0:? because it is undefined and therefore not clear
that can make that milestone without a lot more attention. As it gets
broken down into smaller parts, some of those features might get
rel-9.1.0:+ and some get -.

We might put 'Grab key scrolling' into 8.2.0 as the desired milestone;
with rel-8.2.0:? rel-8.2.1:+ (not sure it can make 8.2.0, but really
think it can make 8.2.1).

I think all the trac items still open once we hit a milestone should
get automatically pushed into the next milestone.

Kim