Build streams; preparing for 8.2 release.

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Thu Jun 12 16:13:16 EDT 2008

On Thursday 12 June 2008, C. Scott Ananian wrote:
> Is the piece we're missing the correlation with koji branches /
> repository names?  I've tried to encourage people to think of a more
> clever naming scheme, but lacking that I suggest that we name our
> branches according to our stable releases.  For example:
>   olpc8.1  <- repo for 8.1, 8.1.1, 8.1.2, etc
>                    with tags for each release
>   olpc8.2  <- repo for 8.2, 8.2.1, 8.2.2, etc
>                    with tags for each release
>
> So our 'stable' build currently would come from the olpc8.1 branch,
> testing from olpc8.2, and unstable from olpc8.2 plus an 'unstable'
> repository or an 'olpc8.2-unstable' tag.  When we release 8.2 we start
> an olpc8.3 or olpc9.1 branch.
>
> Do we need the 'dist-' prefix currently used by koji?  If so, then add
> 'dist-' to the tags above.
>  --scott
This is fine as long as we know we cannot move from testing to stable  when
stable is based on 8.1  and testing is based on 8.2  things  may be ok  but
differences in the toolchain could result in everything including the kitchen
sync being brought in.

that is why i proposed that each stable tree  has its own testing branch.

Dennis