Build streams; preparing for 8.2 release.

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Thu Jun 12 16:24:24 EDT 2008

2008/6/12 Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us>:
> On Thursday 12 June 2008, C. Scott Ananian wrote:
>> Is the piece we're missing the correlation with koji branches /
>> repository names?  I've tried to encourage people to think of a more
>> clever naming scheme, but lacking that I suggest that we name our
>> branches according to our stable releases.  For example:
>>   olpc8.1  <- repo for 8.1, 8.1.1, 8.1.2, etc
>>                    with tags for each release
>>   olpc8.2  <- repo for 8.2, 8.2.1, 8.2.2, etc
>>                    with tags for each release
>>
>> So our 'stable' build currently would come from the olpc8.1 branch,
>> testing from olpc8.2, and unstable from olpc8.2 plus an 'unstable'
>> repository or an 'olpc8.2-unstable' tag.  When we release 8.2 we start
>> an olpc8.3 or olpc9.1 branch.
>>
>> Do we need the 'dist-' prefix currently used by koji?  If so, then add
>> 'dist-' to the tags above.
>>  --scott
> This is fine as long as we know we cannot move from testing to stable  when
> stable is based on 8.1  and testing is based on 8.2  things  may be ok  but
> differences in the toolchain could result in everything including the kitchen
> sync being brought in.
>
> that is why i proposed that each stable tree  has its own testing branch.

If I understand you correctly, I agree: the
"stable"/"testing"/"unstable" is just a simplification of the actual
process, used to help clarify things to the general public and QA.  In
actual practice, there is also a separate staging area used to test
"updates to a released stable build".  Renaming 'testing' to 'stable'
happens atomically when we do a release.  Updates to the stable build
after that happen on a special testing branch which is separate from
the "testing"/"unstable" branches on which the next release is being
formed.

If we use 'dist-olpc8.1', 'dist-olpc8.2', etc branches in koji, then
having 'dist-olpc8.1-testing' and 'dist-olpc8.2-testing' branches
makes sense.  For most cases, if 'dist-8.1' is stable then 'dist-8.2'
is testing and 'dist-8.2-testing' is unstable, but preparation of an
8.1.1 may happen on 'dist-8.1-testing' if packages can't be pulled
directly from 'dist-8.2'.
 --scott

--
 ( http://cscott.net/ )