Build streams; preparing for 8.2 release.

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Thu Jun 12 15:29:55 EDT 2008

Hi Dennis,

   > from your initial email: Stable: Stable builds are specified by
   > their release name (e.g. 8.1.1,   8.2), and the procedure for
   > packages moving from Testing into Stable   releases involves the
   > Unscheduled Release Process:
   > http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Unscheduled_software_release_process

   > that indicate you intend to move updates from a F-9 base to a F-7
   > base.  I dont know how else to read it.  if im wrong please tell me
   > how i should interpret it.

The interpretation should be that we'll have an F-9 base in testing, and
then we'll make a release called, say, 8.2 that contains that build.
For the release after that, we'll have an F-10 base in testing, and
then we'll make a build called 8.3 that contains that.  There is no
overlap between the 8.2 stable build and the 8.3 stable build; they're
independent.

Perhaps you're having trouble because you're imagining "stable" as
existing permanently, rather than once per release.  Stable is just a
symlink to the latest build that made it out of testing into a named
release.  There would never be a reason to have stable be a different
base to the testing build that it came from.

   > We constantly seem to be having the debian does it this way so lets
   > do it that way discussion. rather than asking how fedora does it.

I don't think we're borrowing anything from Debian other than the names
"unstable", "testing" and "stable".  We aren't giving them the meanings
that Debian assigns to those names.  We aren't proposing any
modification of our build process, even, except for a separate build
that takes changes less regularly than Joyride so that it can have
stronger change control.

   > If we find the fedora way to be lacking then we should work to
   > improve that.  if it means looking at how Debian does it and saying
   > thats much better then so be it.  but lets not make it the first
   > choice.  We should work to improve the fedora process for all of
   > fedora's users derivatives.

I don't know of a "Fedora way" (or a "Debian way") for creating a
separate build stream for testing at a slower rate than Rawhide; let me
know if there is.  It sounds like you're chiefly upset that we're using
the unstable/testing/stable nomenclature.  I don't much care about what
we call them; feel free to propose alternate names if it would make you
happier.

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>