New, more realistic multi-hop network testbed

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Sat Jun 7 00:37:05 EDT 2008

Poly,
     In theory, your suggestion sounds good.   In practice, I think
it is advanced research winning out over fixing real problems.

     In the spirit of testing realistic scenarios where we are currently
deployed and failing, I would instead strongly urge concentrating
on testing 70 laptops in a small space (no larger than 1CC's devel
area) with two WiFi access points.

This may not help the mesh routing work immediately, but it would
help us verify why teachers in Uruguay are complaining about an
inability to connect.

It would also allow testing of realistic methods of automatically
becoming an MPP.  As Michail has rightfully pointed out and
Uruguay and Peru have been requesting, we need a way
of extending the WiFi network in the school out to the village.

I don't see us getting far enough along with changes to mesh
routing, or replacing parts of salut with cerebro in time for the
8.2 release.    But I do believe that Michail can figure out a decent
way to gate the MPP functionality by then.

The 8.2 release is the one that Peru will be using next year (2009).
It is very important that any MPP functionality that is added back
to the build be very well tested in the dense school wifi scenario
by 8.2 freeze to ensure happy customers.

wad