New, more realistic multi-hop network testbed

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Sat Jun 7 00:50:51 EDT 2008

On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 12:37 AM, John Watlington <wad at laptop.org> wrote:
>     In theory, your suggestion sounds good.   In practice, I think
> it is advanced research winning out over fixing real problems.

Last I checked, Poly wasn't an employee of OLPC.  I don't think we can
or should make him fix our dense network problems, or run our mesh
testbed.  We should, however, give him all the support he needs (and
he's only asking for ~10 laptops) to create the sparse network testbed
he's interested in, since we will need that after 8.2, and if it's to
be ready then someone needs to start working on it now.

> The 8.2 release is the one that Peru will be using next year (2009).
> It is very important that any MPP functionality that is added back
> to the build be very well tested in the dense school wifi scenario
> by 8.2 freeze to ensure happy customers.

Yes, continued wireless testing is important.  We also need to be
willing to act on the results of that testing.
  --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )