New, more realistic multi-hop network testbed

Ricardo Carrano carrano at laptop.org
Fri Jun 6 19:14:42 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 5:31 PM, Polychronis Ypodimatopoulos
<ypod at mit.edu> wrote:
> In the spirit of escalating collaboration/communication use cases to
> more realistic scenarios, I 'd like to propose creating the following
> multihop network testbed.
>
> This testbed will involve about 70 nodes, but most are already deployed
> (about 50 nodes already exist at 1CC and 8 at the Media Lab). About
> 10-12 new XOs are necessary to form the multi-hop network:
>
> http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ptab=2&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=116432384591811010127.00044f046ce8f6f83aae3
>
> This testbed will be used to:
>
> 1) stress communication over the mesh network; this can be as large as a
> 10-hop network spanning from my apartment (Eastgate) to a friend's
> apartment in Ashdown.
>
> 2) Test collaboration using Cerebro on a mixture of devices including
> XOs, x86 machines (Linux and Windows) and mobile phones. Cerebro runs on
> each one of those independently (including OpenMoko Freerunner), but
> this testbed could be used as a "backbone" network for devices that
> would otherwise be out of range (such as a mobile phone on one side of
> campus and a PC on the other).
>

> Action items:
> 1) secure space (especially at Infinite Corridor) to house XOs.
> 2) setup and automate software updates over the network.
> 3) last but not least, get about 10-12 XOs from OLPC ;-)
>
> Comments/additions are most welcome!
>
> Pol
>
> --
> Polychronis Ypodimatopoulos
> Graduate student
> Viral Communications
> MIT Media Lab
> Tel: +1 (617) 459-6058
> http://www.mit.edu/~ypod/

Pol,

This will be something quite useful. We really need to start setting
sparse clouds.
>From what we've experimented back in November, you will want to put
active antennas by the window. Unless you're trying to reach the
neighbor next door (which is still a valid setup).
In the streets around 1cc, particularly at the parking lot near the
MediaLab you can decode frames from XOs sitting at 1cc. But nothing
that will support any useful communication, I believe.

Cheers!
Ricardo