Code name for 9.1.0

Jameson "Chema" Quinn jquinn at cs.oberlin.edu
Mon Jul 14 18:35:38 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 3:40 PM, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at laptop.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 5:24 PM, Greg Smith <gregsmitholpc at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > My suggestion is to use names of famous pedagogues as code names. I
> > suggest we call this one Freire for Paulo Freire
> > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulo_Freire)
> >
> > Any other votes or code name suggestions?

I appreciate this, but think that it is a little confusing (there is no
particular philosophical relationship between Freire and his version, any
more than with any other version) and needlessly political ("No! Lasalle!",
"No! Makarenko!" - in my view, both deserve inclusion in such a set, but
either one might raise objections).

If we do choose this naming scheme, I think Freire is a good place to start.
If not, I think that something suggesting growth (names of trees?) might be
safer.

> Well, I'm not sure that would get my vote -- at least not until
> someone tells me how it's supposed to be pronounced.
>
> My original suggestion was to follow the Fedora model and (a) solicit
> suggestions from the community, followed by (b) a big fun vote.
> That's a little different from the model you are using.

+1.