[Olpc-open] Video/audio from David Cavallo's Learning team talk, Friday 2:10pm-3:45pm.

Brian Jordan brian at laptop.org
Sun Jul 13 00:42:38 EDT 2008

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 1:57 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> Anfang der weitergeleiteten E-Mail:
>
>> Von: "Brian Jordan" <brian at laptop.org>
>> Datum: 12. Juli 2008 19:17:22 MESZ
>> An: olpc-open at lists.laptop.org
>> Betreff: [Olpc-open] Video/audio from David Cavallo's Learning team talk,
>> Friday 2:10pm-3:45pm.
>>
>> Hi friends,
>>
>> David Cavallo's learning team talk from July 11 was brilliant. More!
>>
>> (a) Video:
>> http://dev.laptop.org/~bjordan/davidstalkvideo.ogg 734M
>> http://dev.laptop.org/~bjordan/davidstalkdirectfromcamera.mov 1.6G
>>
>> (b) Audio (better quality):
>> http://dev.laptop.org/~bjordan/davidstalk.ogg 57M
>> http://dev.laptop.org/~bjordan/davidsTalk.mp3 88M
>>
>> I would like to have this edited a bit to (1) merge the good audio
>> recordings (b) with the video (a) and (2) cut off when the slide
>> presentation portion is over (and it turns to discussion), as I think
>> this is a very good standalone education-on-XO explanation. Can
>> anybody do this? I don't currently have an editor that can handle that
>> .mov format (iMovie 08 can handle that).
>>
>> I'd love to see this on Dailymotion / Youtube + promoted!
>

> Actually, I found the discussion part more interesting (maybe because I am
> familiar with many of the educational ideas David re-iterated).
>
> But the discussion of the strategic gap in actual software development for
> the OLPC platform should be interesting to any developer (hence I'm taking
> liberty to forward to devel@). Or the plea to focus on the needs of the
> developing countries. Or that we need much more powerful creative tools than
> Pippy, Etoys, or Scratch. Or how we can even develop rich activities while
> the foundations are still being built. Etc.
>
> I urge every developer to listen to this.
>
> - Bert -
>
> PS: It would be interesting to know who was present as I recognized only
> some of the voices

Off of the top of my head:

David Cavallo, Cynthia Solomon, Greg Smith, Michael Stone, Joe Feinstein

> (unfortunately the camera did not follow speakers in the discussion).

Sorry about that -- some technical explanation: I was juggling the
conversation-following-re-aiming of a very directional handheld
microphone (which is what is used for the audio recordings) with
occasionally standing up to adjust the camera's shot... which was in
the middle of the conference table and on a photo tripod (which
results in especially especially jerky/jarring pans). I figured it was
best just to leave the camera on David after some initial attempts to
follow the fast moving conversation and resulting in a lot of
this-is-half-of-somebodys-face shots :)

Things that would make this whole process smoother and professional
looking in the future (without having to hire a professional):
* video tripod / arranging the presentation room to be more conducive to filming
     - including placing all likely-to-converse memebers of the
audience in a simple-to-have-in-frame location (or having two cameras,
but editing that can be a real pain)
     - Re: handheld shooting, having cameras on a tripod is much
better for digital compression
* iMovie 08 so we can deal with those bizarre .MOD-->.mov files
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Bjordan/1CC_Camera
* unidirectional microphone recording to SD (or a simpler setup than
my current analog mixer/SM-58)
http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1916

I welcome discussion, and thanks for the heads up:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Bjordan/Filming_tips

Brian