Fwd: [Olpc-open] Video/audio from David Cavallo's Learning team talk, Friday 2:10pm-3:45pm.

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Jul 12 20:57:53 EDT 2008

Anfang der weitergeleiteten E-Mail:

> Von: "Brian Jordan" <brian at laptop.org>
> Datum: 12. Juli 2008 19:17:22 MESZ
> An: olpc-open at lists.laptop.org
> Betreff: [Olpc-open] Video/audio from David Cavallo's Learning team
> talk, Friday 2:10pm-3:45pm.
>
> Hi friends,
>
> David Cavallo's learning team talk from July 11 was brilliant. More!
>
> (a) Video:
> http://dev.laptop.org/~bjordan/davidstalkvideo.ogg 734M
> http://dev.laptop.org/~bjordan/davidstalkdirectfromcamera.mov 1.6G
>
> (b) Audio (better quality):
> http://dev.laptop.org/~bjordan/davidstalk.ogg 57M
> http://dev.laptop.org/~bjordan/davidsTalk.mp3 88M
>
> I would like to have this edited a bit to (1) merge the good audio
> recordings (b) with the video (a) and (2) cut off when the slide
> presentation portion is over (and it turns to discussion), as I think
> this is a very good standalone education-on-XO explanation. Can
> anybody do this? I don't currently have an editor that can handle that
> .mov format (iMovie 08 can handle that).
>
> I'd love to see this on Dailymotion / Youtube + promoted!

Actually, I found the discussion part more interesting (maybe because
I am familiar with many of the educational ideas David re-iterated).

But the discussion of the strategic gap in actual software development
for the OLPC platform should be interesting to any developer (hence
I'm taking liberty to forward to devel@). Or the plea to focus on the
needs of the developing countries. Or that we need much more powerful
creative tools than Pippy, Etoys, or Scratch. Or how we can even
develop rich activities while the foundations are still being built.
Etc.

I urge every developer to listen to this.

- Bert -

PS: It would be interesting to know who was present as I recognized
only some of the voices (unfortunately the camera did not follow
speakers in the discussion).