[Localization] How do we manage translation effort in Release, process/roadmap?

Korakurider korakurider at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 08:21:51 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 8:38 PM, Greg Smith <gregsmitholpc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Korakurider,
>
> Thanks for reviewing the process page.
>
> Can you write up an explanation (or point me to the URL) on the steps
> and actions needed for translation in each release? An example of what
> happens and when for new languages is helpful too. Include what
> notifications should go out as part of the steps.
>
> If you can show agreement on the content, I can link to it from the main
> process page.

   You ask too much for me :-)   but here we go...  Sayamindu and
other L10n guru might have words on this.

>From translator's point of view, things will go like this:

  a. Developers generate updated POT and commit it to repo.
      Then the change will be automatically merged to PO on Pootle.

  b. Translators enter or edit translations on Pootle.  then test it
with the latest software.

  c. Admins for language/project of Pootle commit translations to repo
      when they are comfortable with the translations.

  d. Developers build their package and the latest translations in
repo will be pulled.

  e. Repeat from a or b.

 There are several important events for each development cycle:

a) "String freeze"
  POT is friezed and translators enjoy translation without caring of
string change.
  If developers want to change string/POT after that, prior
communication would be needed.

b) "Translation refresh"
  When committed translations in repo will be pulled into package build.
  It's ok if every build use the latest in repo.  But if not, the
milestone needs to be scheduled.

c) "Translation freeze"
  Developers and testers might want to control it, while I 'm not sure
whether this is needed actually:
  + I think commit from Pootle is done to trunk of repo (Update.1
Project on Pootle would be exception).  But developer want to make
branch for the specific release.
  + Set translation deadline for extensive testing of release candidate.

Translators could easily manage their work if these milestones are
scheduled in project plan for each release cycle.  (see
http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/localization/2007-December/000220.html
)

> Please also so suggest where in the process each piece of the
> translation work needs to happen. That wont be easy as I don't have full
> agreement on the milestones yet:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_Process_Home#Milestones
>
> However, if you can anchor your translation steps and process on one of
> the milestones that will help. e.g. 30 days before first release
> candidate is chosen (aka Change Control of Features)"first draft of all
> translations must be entered in Pootle". Once we know what needs to
> happen we can pin it to the right place.
>
> In short, tell us how you think it should be done and what you need to
> be successful. Post it to the talk page:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Talk:Release_Process_Home
>
> get agreement from the key translation people doing the work and I will
> try to ensure that the development team accommodates your needs as much
>  as possible.
>
> That's a lot to ask for! Let me know if my request is not clear or if we
> should look for other people to help you get started.

Now, my turn to ask :-)  I don't know who is the right one to ask though...

(1) They say SugarLabs is upstream of Sugar software and OLPC is one of distro.
Then, which POs are still "owned" by OLPC?
(Packaging/Pootle/Activation Server/OLPC Web site projects are obvious
:-)
For Sugar. will commit from Pootle go to upstream(SugarLab)  or distro(OLPC)?
Which will POT come from ?

(2) SugarLabs have declared string freeze for 8.2.  But I am not sure
specifically which POT/POs are governed by their declaration.
sugar.po/sugar-base.po/sugar-toolkit.po come to mind.
And I think other activities in XO-Core (that are also included in
their software stack as "Demo activities") aren't governed. right?

(3) OLPC have stopped to bundle activities with base software.  Now
release cycle for them doesn't have to be aligned to XO software from
OLPC's point of view.  But I think It would be still better to try to
let them aligned for refreshing translations.
Note that even if the package is enough mature, additional build would
be needed to pull new translations (new languages for instance).
Right now it is hard to know when my updated translations for some
activities will be pulled into the packages :-<

Cheers,
/Korakurider