fonts-thai-ttf has been abandoned!

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Wed Jul 2 22:09:08 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 9:01 PM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would expect it to be the same as the Debian package ttf-thai-tlwg,
> but if not, then you have a new resource.
>
> Thai fonts in TrueType format
> This package provides some free-licensed fonts that are
> enhanced by developpers from Thai Linux Working Group.
> In TrueType format.
>
> At the moment, it provides two families from the National Font
> Project (Garuda, Norasi), one from NECTEC (Loma) and three
> developed by TLWG itself (Tlwg Mono, Tlwg Typewriter, Purisa).
>
> http://www.nida.gov.kh/activities/localization/thai.pdf

Seems like it.  The Redhat package also has fonts named Kinnari,
Sawasdee, Umpush, and Waree, as well as one named 'TlwgTypist' (which
is different from the TlwgTypewriter font, also included).  These
extra fonts are probably why the new redhat package is ~1M larger than
the old package included in 708 and earlier.

Do we need all these fonts?  I'll admit to not being an expert on Thai
typography, but the Thai fonts now comprise more than 50% of the fonts
on the pulldown menu in Write.  Latin languages look the poorer for
only having the three basic DejaVu fonts (Serif, Sans, Sans Mono, and
another Serif).

The wikipedia pangram page suggests
เป็นมนุษย์สุดประเสริฐเลิศคุณค่า กว่าบรรดาฝูงสัตว์เดรัจฉาน
จงฝ่าฟันพัฒนาวิชาการ อย่าล้างผลาญฤๅเข่นฆ่าบีฑาใคร
ไม่ถือโทษโกรธแช่งซัดฮึดฮัดด่า หัดอภัยเหมือนกีฬาอัชฌาสัย
ปฏิบัติประพฤติกฎกำหนดใจ พูดจาให้จ๊ะๆ จ๋าๆ น่าฟังเอยฯ
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangram#Other_languages )
might be an appropriate text to use to verify proper font support?

(It does display correctly on joyride-2098, but the Pangram page
indicates that we are missing fonts for Dzongkha (language of Bhutan),
Hebrew, Japanese, Korean, and Chinese.  These fonts are in the
packages 'fonts-hebrew' (1M), 'fonts-japanese' (22M!), 'fonts-chinese'
(24M!) and 'fonts-korean' (18M!); hopefully these's a subset of the
japanese/chinese/korean fonts which is lighter weight!)
 --scott

--
 ( http://cscott.net/ )