Why can't i access /dev/dsp or /dev/snd on my XO

imm ian at imm.uklinux.net
Tue Jan 22 14:14:06 EST 2008

On 22 Jan 2008, at 4:11, Albert Cahalan wrote:
> You don't need to abuse pitch bends. MIDI lets you
> redefine the pitches of the notes. You can redefine
> middle C to be 1234 Hz if you like.

Mmm, well, yes, but...
It's not so much the pitches that are the issue, it's the intervals,
and MIDI kind of constrains what you can do about that, so you do
kind of end up abusing pitch bend...

And, whether we stick with Csound or go with something else, I do
think we need to address the music issue, it is a big thing in a lot
of cultures.

We had a friend staying in the run up to Christmas, who's a
Senegalese master drummer, and I spent a few evenings showing him
some chops on the guitar (he'd expressed an interest... I'm not that
good but...)
His approach to intonation and pitching was quite "interesting" shall
we say... This is a guy who's spent a lot of time in Europe, working
as a professional musician.
They key being, I think, the music he was exposed to as a child, and
how it affects his musicality now.

And that's the sort of thing that makes me worry about the musicality
of the OLPC systems, and how they will work in other cultures.