Why can't i access /dev/dsp or /dev/snd on my XO

imm ian at imm.uklinux.net
Tue Jan 22 14:00:16 EST 2008

On 22 Jan 2008, at 3:43, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> By the way -- as far as microtonal and xentonal and "world music
> scales"
> are concerned, MIDI's pitch bends are an awkward hack. Serious
> *microtonal* algocompsynth practitioners either have to spend time
> working around MIDI or use something else.

My worry is that a lot of the communities these machines will go to,
will want to perform microtonal and xentonal music, but are a long
way from being algocompsynth practitioners, and the MIDI tweaking
involved is, well, lets say "non-trivial"... I saw Csound (presumably
wrapped by TamTam or *something*) as the way to enable that facility
transparently. Perhaps I am too optimistic?