Devel Digest, Vol 23, Issue 2

Ian Daniher it.daniher at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 11:36:55 EST 2008

Jaya and Sameer,
That looks very similar to the peripheral I have been working on; for
details, you can see reference the page:
wiki.laptop.org/go/TeleHealth_Module.
Our pricepoint is slightly lower, but the goal is the same. I am very
curious to learn more about your experiences and contacts in the fledgling
field of telemedicine.
I have a friend studying in microfluidics at Case University.
You spoke of the 'developments in blood chemistry measurements'; I have also
been closely following these developments. One of the features I am
currently prototyping is a lower cost version of a "pulse oximeter" which
uses the difference in absorption between red and IR light to determine the
amount of carbon dioxide in the blood. The pulse oximeter has become
standard in many trauma-care institutions.
I have also found a couple of companies that have successfully commercialize
the photochromatic determination of glucose levels.

Best wishes,
Ian Daniher

On Jan 2, 2008 12:56 AM, Jaya Kumar <jayakumar.lkml at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 1, 2008 5:10 PM, Arjun Sarwal <arjun at laptop.org> wrote:
> >

> > > There is a telemedicine kit from India for about $200, and there are
> > > other possibilities. I have been encouraged by developments in blood
> > > chemistry measurements that do not require a needle stick. The first
> > > such product is likely to be a diabetic blood sugar meter, but the
> > > process applies to any small molecule with a distinctive spectrum.
> > >
> > > I also have friends in the medical software business. There is a Free
> > > Software implementation of the M language and the entire US Veterans
> > > Administration/DoD hospital software system for medical records,
> > > administration, pharmacy, and much more.
> > >

> > Glad to hear of these. Any one of these things can be developed/run
> > around/on the XO ?
>
> Hi Arjun,
>
> I've CCed Sameer Sawarkar of Neurosynaptic. They have successfully
> built a remote low cost diagnostic kit ( I think it's called ReMeDi)
> that can measure temperature, blood pressure, ECG and heartbeat
> (stethoscope) and perform other tasks. It won a prize at the World
> Economic Forum 2007. There was an article in businessweek here:
>
> http://images.businessweek.com/ss/07/11/1129_tech_pioneers/source/22.htm
>
> I hope maybe XO and ReMeDi can, in someway, be complementary.
>
> Regards,
> jaya

Ian Daniher
it.daniher at gmail.com