XO Colors ?

Walter Bender walter at laptop.org
Fri Feb 15 22:14:53 EST 2008

If there are duplicates, that is a bug.

The constraints on the color palette are:

1. There must be value contrast between the stroke and fill colors (so
that they remain distinct in reflective mode) and allow for clarity of
the icon definitions.

2. There must be value contrast between the stroke color and the
various background colors: frame gray, circle white, background gray.

We chose 6 hues reasonably well-spaced and 3 values that were combined
in 5 ways (one combination didn't work because the stroke color rule 2
above.) We maximized the chroma for each hue/value pair, since we use
gray to convey absence from the mesh and the saturation of the display
is diminished by the reflective screen in any case.

36*5 = 180 color combinations. I don't recall why only 108 are being used.

-walter

--
Walter Bender
One Laptop per Child