Tentative Plans for Nepal's School Server and related infrastructure

Ixo X oxI ixo at myna.ws
Sat Feb 16 06:17:15 EST 2008

Well,  creating points which go 'INTO' your server is probably not a really
good strategy.

However, one could do it the other way with ssh keys (i.e. no login),
'from' the server.

I've thought about this before...  one solution...  server has a webpage
which allows the XO to see and logon, and user clicks 'back me up now'. The
webpage detects the IP of the XO, writes it to a special file of 'XO laptops
to backup'. A server cron job, checks for this file, and grabs a IP from the
list, initiates a ssh request 'into' the XO laptop using previously shared
keys, 'grabs' the needed files, then closes the connection.

I think that this would be safer scenario, than having a bunch of  random
XO's connecting 'INTO' a server.

*shrug*
-ixo