XO Colors ?

Ixo X oxI ixo at myna.ws
Fri Feb 15 21:53:39 EST 2008

Devel group,
   I've been looking at a few Wiki and python pages about XO color
definitions, and even updated one page with some of my discoveries.

  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_colors

Basically, found color definitions in two standard distribution python pages
:
   /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/sugar/graphics/xocolor.py
and
   /usr/share/sugar/shell/controlpanel/control.py

My question lies in first one, here's the list pasted from the python file.
   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Talk:XO_colors#xocolor.py

Although it appears to be a list of 108 random selected combinations, it
appears to be odd in a way. After sorting and analysis, there's some
duplication, and non-diversity between colors.  Seeing the code at the end
of the python page. Looks like it could also be seeded by a different file.

I have several comments/questions:

o  Why isn't the color table defined in it's own include file, which just
has all the Sugar/XO defined colors ?  So other programs/activities can be
consistent about pallet color names being used?

o  What is the first file all about?  What's magically about this list, why
only 108 ?  Is there really less than 120 color combinations for initial
buddy icon colors ? After that, sugar-control-panel allows only selection of
306 colors?  Who made this ?  Why is there duplicates ? :)

o  What are the color combinations for the 'Xo' on the outside shell ?
(Same?)

ok, sorry for the questions, just curious about colors.

-Ixo
p.s. yes, you can bypass the color limitations by directly writing to
/home/olpc/.sugar/default/config , I was talking about the existing tools
used by most people. :)