How to create a new MIME type for a Sugar activity?

Karl karl.ramberg at comhem.se
Mon Feb 11 10:33:17 EST 2008

Albert Cahalan wrote:

> Whatever you invent, Etoys will claim it in the next release.
> It does not matter if Etoys has any ability to handle the data.
>
> I'm half serious too, as is clear to anybody who has looked at
> the list of MIME types claimed by Etoys and tried them.
> Almost none make sense. It's like some kind of land grab.
Well, Etoys is a multimedia environment and should handle most media
types. For authoring active essays where you combine simulation, text,
pictures  etc you must be able to access the media. Here is the list of
MIME types  Etoys claim:

application/x-squeak-project;
application/x-squeak-image;
application/x-squeak-object;
application/x-squeak-source;
application/x-squeak-archive;
text/html;
text/rtf;
text/plain;
image/bmp;
image/gif;
image/jpeg;
image/png;
image/pnm;
image/x-xbitmap;
image/x-portable-anymap;
image/x-portable-bitmap;
image/x-portable-graymap;
image/x-portable-pixmap;
image/pcx;
audio/midi;
audio/basic;
audio/aiff;
audio/wav;
audio/x-speex+ogg;
audio/x-speex;
application/zip;
application/x-shockwave-flash;
application/x-truetypefont;
application/ogg

Shockwave implementation is quite dated, around flash version 3.
Zip works great on other platforms, but with Journal and the ZIP UI
using a tiny font is is quite useless.
Html rendering is not great, but works for basic simple html.

What MIME type do you think it should not claim ?

Karl