How to create a new MIME type for a Sugar activity?

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Mon Feb 11 12:35:59 EST 2008

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 04:33:17PM +0100, Karl wrote:
> Albert Cahalan wrote:
> >
> > Whatever you invent, Etoys will claim it in the next release.
> > It does not matter if Etoys has any ability to handle the data.
> >
> > I'm half serious too, as is clear to anybody who has looked at
> > the list of MIME types claimed by Etoys and tried them.
> > Almost none make sense. It's like some kind of land grab.
> Well, Etoys is a multimedia environment and should handle most media
> types. For authoring active essays where you combine simulation, text,
> pictures  etc you must be able to access the media. Here is the list of
> MIME types  Etoys claim:

Is there a possibility to make a distinction between "ability to
handle" and "claims [as the default handler]"?  As an outsider /
random developer, I understand why Etoys should declare it can handle,
say, text/html, but I don't understand why Etoys should be the default
handler for text/html.

Etoys isn't the default handler for clipboard / journal text/html
mime-types, is it?

Martin

PS - When I try to open a text/htmltoys file from the Sugar clipboard (it's
labeled as "Text", somewhat oddly), Browse is the first on the list.
This seems good.  Unfortunately when Browse starts it looks like the
canvas's contents aren't repainting, but that's probably just my
olpc-update issue.