Keyboard layout (is: connect from console)

James james at openspark.com
Sun Feb 10 19:36:01 EST 2008

On 10 Feb 2008, at 18:12, Bennett Todd wrote:
> 2008-02-10T22:39:53 James:
>>   /sbin/iwconfig eth0 essid linksys
>>   /sbin/iwconfig eth0 key C55999D652
>>   /usr/sbin/olpc-update 656
>>
>> ... but the virtual console complained:
>>
>>   Could not download update contents file from:
>>   rsync://updates.laptop.org/build-656/contents
>>   I don't think you're connected to the Internet.
>
> (1) can you ping 192.168.1.1? If no, you didn't associate with AP, I
>    don't know what to suggest. But if yes,

Hi Bennett,

On both XOs, if I try to connect using the steps above, I get this:

   # ping 192.168.1.1
   connect: Network is unreachable

On the XO that works, the steps above do not lead to the icon for
linksys in the Network GUI becoming active; rolling over the linksys
icon does not reveal a "Disconnect" option in the contextual menu that
appears.

Even if I execute...

   # /sbin/iwconfig eth0 ap 00:18:39:B3:62:3C

... after the other iwconfig commands, I still cannot ping 192.168.1.1.

I've also tried:

   # /sbin/ifup eth0
   Determining IP information for eth0... failed

> (2) I can't find host, but it you try to ping updates.laptop.org
>    does it find its IP or not?

# ping updates.laptop.org
ping: unknown host updates.laptop.org

> If not, what's in /etc/resolv.conf, both on the one that works and
> the one that doesn't?

On both XOs /etc/resolv.conf contains:

   # generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!

   [Read 6 lines]

As you can see from my other reply to this thread, the initial boot
problem has cleared up.  The only issue that is still outstanding is
getting the affected XO to connect to the Internet.

What sequence of commands are executed when the user clicks on an icon
in the Network GUI (F1)?  Can't I simply run these commands in order
from the virtual console?

Since I have a second XO which *can* connect to the Internet, and
since the affected XO connects automatically via the Mesh Network to
the second XO, shouldn't I be able to access the Internet on the
affected XO via the connection on the second one?

Thanks in advance,

James