Keyboard layout: switching from Amharic <> US

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Sun Feb 10 10:17:43 EST 2008

James wrote:
> On 9 Feb 2008, at 14:04, Walter Bender wrote:
>> it is likely just a (simple) matter of checking your i18n-related
>> files.
> Hi Walter,
>
> Thanks for jumping in.
>
> With Simon Schampijer's help, I have restored the i18n and keyboard
> file to (what I believe is) their initial state, but the boot problem
> persists.
>
>> If things are so scrambled that you cannot sort them out, you can
>> always:
>>
>> (1) boot with the O key down to load your alternative image;
>
> I presume you mean the O key on the game pad?  No joy:
>
>    Release the game key to continue
>    <Jingle>
>    Xo logo appears, along with a red USB key, an orange floppy/screen(?)
>    and a green XO logo, with four yellow dots underneath it.
>
>    Then:
>
>    Trying nand:\security\develop.sig
>    Trying nand:\boot-alt\bootfw.zip
>    Trying nand:\boot-alt\runos.zip
>    Boot failed
>    Use power button to power off
>
>    And a sad smiley face.
>
> Or (most of the time)
>
>   Release the game key to continue
>    <Jingle>
>    Xo logo appears
>    <Pause>
>    Red USB key, an orange floppy/screen(?), a green XO logos a 4 yellow
>    dots appear, along with the sad smiley, plus the text:
>
>    Boot failed
>    Powering off in 10 seconds
>

>> (2) do an olpc-update from the console; or
>> (3) reflash
>
> Where did my comfort zone go, all of a sudden?
>
> I'm not sure how to do an olpc-update from the console, since the XO
> has not had the chance to connect to the Internet at this point.  I
> presume that I need to follow the instructions
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Olpc-update#Simple_Offline_Upgrade
>
> If I understand correctly, I should type...
>
>    olpc-update --version
>
> ... into the virtual console.  However, this command is not
> recognized.  I read on:
>
>    If you don't even have the --version option, or if it does not say
> that you are
>    using at least version 2.0 of olpc-update, you will need to upgrade
> olpc-update
>    before continuing.
>
> Catch 22.  Upgrading to olpc-update means using wget, which means
> being connected to the Internet.  Which the XO is not.
>

> Conclusion: I need to download an image to a USB key, and boot from
> that.
>
> I found an encouraging item at <http://chanson.livejournal.com/179947.html
>  >:
>
>    Just copy the os653.img file to the FAT formatted USB drive,
> connect it to
>    the OLPC then reboot with all the game buttons pressed.
>
> I reformatted a USB key to MS-DOS (FAT) format.  I downloaded
> os653.img from <http://download.laptop.org/xo-1/os/official/latest/jffs2/
> [...]

Hi James,

when you get the sad smiley this means that on your machine security has
not been disabled (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activation_and_Developer_Keys).

If no important data lives on the XO you might want to upgrade (It has
hard to say which files are damaged and stop the xserver from starting
:/ We can try to find the cause on irc if you want.

The first thing to try is updating to a signed image.
656 seams to be the recommended stable ship.2 build.
http://download.laptop.org/xo-1/os/official/latest/jffs2/

Instructions:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Update_paths#Off-line_.28big_download.29

If this does not work:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activation_and_Developer_Keys#Getting_a_Developer_Key_if_the_Machine_Won.27t_Boot

And feel free to ask in #sugar if you need a quick answer or more help or...
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/IRC#irc.freenode.net_channels

Best,
    Simon