Wireless activation improvements.

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Thu Dec 11 13:01:23 EST 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 03:35:53PM -0200, Martin Langhoff wrote:
>On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 3:27 PM, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
>> The primary use case that the Ethiopia team is interested in is
>> automating/simplifying the lease *renewal* which is done at schools,
>> not a warehouse.
>
>Lease renewal is -- unfortunately -- missing big chunks in 8.2 . I
>don't think it's doable for 8.2.1. I'm trying to coordinate an effort
>(eith Ed's help) to team up with Michael and/or Scott to get this done
>as soon as 8.2.1 is out, with a target of 9.1 or (if people make a
>strong case for it) 8.2.2.

Martin,

If you boot a boot-locked machine with no valid lease, it will search
for one on USB, SD, and the mesh. Therefore, while I agree that things
would be nicer if leases were also renewed while the machine was
running, it's obviously not preventing all use of the activation
feature by our deployments. Finally, don't you agree that there are
lots of different ways to solve this problem that are within the reach
of those deployments interested in pushing our activation technology
along faster?

Michael