Wireless activation improvements.

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 13:17:40 EST 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 4:01 PM, Michael Stone <michael at laptop.org> wrote:
> If you boot a boot-locked machine with no valid lease, it will search
> for one on USB, SD, and the mesh. Therefore, while I agree that things
> would be nicer if leases were also renewed while the machine was
> running, it's obviously not preventing all use of the activation
> feature by our deployments.

I'm confused here. not sure what you mean to say. Perhaps I should say
that it's clear to me (and hopefully to Daniel too) that there are 2
different things being discussed

 - "initial activation" (what your proposed fix is about, and
generally within reach for 8.2.1)
 - "lease renewal" (what Daniel asks about -- involving a lot of work
to complete)

Both are closely related (and I am describing them with the
nomenclature from the scenario they support).

Having initial activation is good, even on its own -- we had in in an
earlier release.  I suspect this is what you are trying to say, and I
agree.

> Finally, don't you agree that there are
> lots of different ways to solve this problem that are within the reach
> of those deployments interested in pushing our activation technology
> along faster?

Not sure where you're trying to go... Yes, they can implement lease
renewal/blacklisting infrastructure themselves, as Uy has. I don't
think is a viable option for anyone but Uruguay, there are lots
ofdownsides to having it outside the signed initrd and I'm sure they
would have been happy spending their effort elsewhere.

So yes, someone else could do our job. But they won't, cause it's ours :-)

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions